Thursday, July 24, 2008

Setting My Heart On Things Above

"Since then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."

Colossians 3:1-4

So, a humbling realization is that I have not been setting my heart on things above, but rather on my own life and relationships. I also have come to grips with the fact that there are just some things in life that I absolutally can't control, and there is really no use in worrying about them but rather to trust that God is taking care of them. I think a lot of times I tell the Lord, "Don't worry about it, I got this one" but the truth is, when ever I try taking things in my own hands, disaster strikes! And then, I am brought to my knees in humble submission, realizing that it was not me who was supposed to be in control, but rather, God. Now, you have to know that this isn't the first time I have learned this lesson, nor (I'm sure) will it be the last. But at the same time, I feel so liberated. I didn't realize how much I was worrying about things that I could have been trusting in God with all along. At the same time, I feel like I am at a standstill, kind of uncertain of what to do next. How do you go from letting go and letting God? And that has been my prayer-that I would just focus on Jesus and growing in Him-because that's ultimately what matters the most.

I am also super excited that I was able to talk to Azad last night-apparently there is reception at main camp. I am so proud of her and am amazed to see how much she is growing, which is a huge reason that made me want to start evaluating my walk with the Lord and made me want to grow in Him even more. She reminded me that my relationship with God is so important and that God is the one who is going to sustain us. At church yesterday I was also reminded of how I was not putting God first. We had this conversation on how we as humans try so desperately to put our hope in other things or people, when ultimately we come out dry. I have gap that only God can fill and satisfy, and I want to be content with Him alone.


1 comment:

Acorn Caron said...

Hi Arev! I love you and I love keeping up with your blog! keep writing every day. please let me know if you need to hear from me- I feel too lazy to call you guys(you're my little mouse who keeps me up to date with what's going on in the house). love you!